CBD and Autism
Autism is a developmental disability which affects how people communicate and interact with the world. Contrary, to pseudo-studies people are born with Autism, and just as it is with a spectrum, it effects no two people in the same exact way making it a very complex subject!
How does Autism affect people’s lives?
Over one in each hundred people land somewhere on the autism spectrum in the UK. Diverse and different, there are a very few commonalities. Please understand this list is not a one size fits all, many autistic people have their own individual talents and their own difficulties, but many struggle with:
- Social Communication or Social interaction - Some autistic people may find it more difficult to register common social queues, and often may take things literally, not understanding the broader picture. This may mean they need more time to process ideas.
- Repetitive Behaviour - Some autistic people suffer with anxiety from deviating from a set routine. If this routine changes or disrupted unexpectedly, it can cause distress for the individual.
- Over-sensitivity - some autistic people can be more sensitive to bright lights and loud noises, especially for younger children with autism this can cause shock and distress in unfamiliar situations.
- Highly focused interests or hobbies
- Extreme anxiety - this is particularly prevalent in adults with autism. Handling social situations can be demanding and can sometime physically impact people.
- Meltdowns and Shutdowns - When an autistic person experiences a sensory overload or demanding situation they can go into a ‘meltdown’. This is often an exhaustive and intense experience. Autistic people often learn to track their triggers to prevent this from happening.
Can CBD help with Autism?
People are born with autism, so it cannot be ‘cured’, nor would anyone want it to be. For family and friends of autistic people, whilst an individual can be challenging, their autism are part of what makes them who they are.
Individuals who live with Autism can find the anxiety and possibility of meltdowns exhaustive and intense. CBD has long been used as an alternative anxiety medication.
Having an intense reaction to a situation can be upsetting, and CBD can help create a sense of calm over the body, possibly preventing outbursts and intense meltdowns.
Some studies have suggested that CBD provides mood-regulating effects and release of hormones which can aide the treatment of common mental health problems such as mild depression and anxiety.
CBD can impact the body’s production of the happy hormone, serotonin. Often people who live with Depression and anxiety have an imbalance of serotonin, so CBD can help begin to rectify this chemical imbalance.
How does CBD work?
Cannabidiol or ‘CBD’ is a type of cannabinoid chemical found naturally in the cannabis plants. Most UK, CBD does not contain ‘THC’ that cause the ‘high’ feeling associated with marijuana, so is safe for new users and has no common or evident side-effects. Some research has shown the core substances in CBD interact with the body’s natural Endocannabinoid system, which contains the receptors for your brain, appetite, sleep, the immune system and pain responses.
The bodies receptors are tiny proteins attached to cells. The receptors receive chemical signals from different body stimuli, causing the cell to respond. This response creates anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects.
What CBD products to try?
Taking CBD under your tongue - Taking CBD oil directly under your tongue or ‘sublingually’ is the fastest way for it to be absorbed into your bloodstream. For more advice on this method check out our blog, ‘Why do I need to put CBD oil under my tongue?
Swallowing and Ingesting CBD directly - Probably the most versatile method as there are numerous products with CBD oil in on the market. These range from CBD oil capsules, CBD teas, soft drinks, gummies as well as CBD pastes to add to cooking. Why not try our CBD green smoothie recipe ?
Inhaling CBD vapor - CBD oil can be purchased as an e-liquid. Vaping, in recent years has become a popular and healthier alternative to smoking. Inhaling means it is in your lungs and quickly reaches your bloodstream. Up to 56% can reach your circulatory system to be used in the body and can even take effect in 10 minutes.
Skin application - Skin application of CBD oil is the best method for targeting specific areas. There are a number of CBD oil balms, lotions, salves, shower gels and ointments that can be directly applied to the affected area. These products are a good starter to anyone still new to CBD oil products as they are often packed with essential oils and other beneficial ingredients for the body.
Hemprove's HelpWe are here to talk about all things CBD with you. We love our products and brands and are only too happy to recommend products and answer all your CBD questions. We are here to ensure you have the best quality product for your health needs!